Monday, May 4, 2009

Sherlock graduates from Intermediate Level II

Sherlock graduated from Intermediate Level II at Who's Walking Who Dog Training in New York City. The class decided to have a working class instead of a graduation. Over the past 6 weeks, we have worked hard on a better understanding of basic commands. We have been practicing sit, down, and stand at a distance, using both verbal and nonverbal commands. My trainers have told me that dogs don't generalize so asking the dog to sit while he's by your feet is different from asking your dog to sit while he is 10 feet away. During the last two classes, we practiced heeling in and out of a line of chairs while other people were sitting in the chairs with their dogs on their left. We practiced giving sit/down/stand at a distance while sitting in chairs and while our backs were turned to the dogs. All of these are great exercises that I will have to continue on my own.

I am moving at the end of this month to Delaware, where I grew up. I have located what I think will be a good training school to continue training. I am excited to begin agility with Sherlock. I really don't know much about the sport, but I have a feeling that he will excel at this. Not only does he really enjoy working for me, but he has the drive to do what I ask, he's confident and decently quick and agile for his size. He may not be the fastest dog of his size, but where I think we will have an advantage is the fact that I already have off-leash control and that his focus on me is excellent.

During this off time between moving to DE and starting up new classes, I will have a few weeks to try and focus on a few things that I have been neglecting...

Goals for Sherlock:
1. Sit from a 20 foot distance
2. Stand using verbal command
3. Tighter heel and finishes
4. 3 minute sit-stay
5. 5 minute out of sight stay

Goals for Noah:
1. Understanding of finish left and right
2. Sit from a 20 foot distance
3. Stand using verbal command
4. Good foundation of heel
5. 3 minute sit-stay
6. 5 minute out of sight stay

I would like both of my dogs to pass the CGC test by the end of August. The biggest problem will be getting them to do the out of sight stay with a stranger for 3 minutes. Lots to work on.

1 comment:

  1. Using a very similar method, I have my 15 month old sitting at 150-200 yards. It's a very useful behavior for when you're off-leash walking, and a deer shows up.

    ReplyDelete